About the Author
Crystal Boateng was born and raised in Kumasi, Ghana. She moved to Massachusetts at a young age with her family.She is a proud alumna of Mount Holyoke College and holds a law degree and MBA from the University of Connecticut. Crystal has two children, Whitney and Leo, who are her inspiration behind Afia the Ashanti Princess: A Visit to the Motherland. She wrote this book to introduce young readers of African descent to a non-traditional princess story so that they can identify with the main character. Her hope is to inspire young readers of her Ashanti Princess book series to develop an interest in further learning about Ghanaian culture and history.
"Afia the Ashanti Princess: A Visit to the Motherland" is the debut story in the Ashanti Princess and Prince book series. The purpose of this series is to:
1. Emphasize the importance of Black representation in children's books;
2. Introduce young girls and boys of African descent to stories which allow them to relate to the main characters;
3. Empower children to develop confidence and a sense of pride in their African heritage;
4. Encourage children to learn about their family history and cultural heritage; and
5. Inspire readers to develop an interest in learning about Ghanaian history and culture.
More about me: I was the 2015 Gish Jen Emerging Writers Fellow at the Writers’ Room of Boston, and when I’m not writing, crocheting, or reading, you can find me teaching at the University of Massachusetts, Boston.